Friday, February 18, 2022

Storyboarding!!!

This is probably my favorite part of the pre-production process. I'm terrible at drawing - as you'll see - but I like to manifest my ideas on a piece of paper. And scribbles are a pretty good way of doing it. I only have the storyboard done for one trailer, but I'll include some of these shots in the second trailer, and I do have some miscellaneous creepy shots on here that are extra - just in case I need it:

Post pictures of storyboard here:
















I really wanted to have that juxtaposition in this trailer. The beginning will be oversaturated and colorful, as I really want my setting to seem like a suburban paradise. And the town that I'm in will work very well for that. I might have to use a LUT, but I doubt that it's going to be needed. And I want to have plenty of long and wide shots to capture the setting. I won't use all, of course, but I want to be able to choose a good one from the selection. The setting is going to be a very important symbol in my piece, so I want it to be highlighted by a good shot. 

I want my characters to almost seem like a stereotypical couple from the 1950s or '60s. I'll have to work on my costume design - I already have a couple of ideas for Val and her husband (who's yet to be named, so I'll work on that, too). I'll most likely have Val wear a colorful dress that is reminiscent of something from the '50s or '60s. And the husband will wear something conventional of a working husband. I want that appearance of an average family. I want Val to wear something that suggests she is not what she seems. Maybe a color that doesn't match or isn't compatible with the others. And I'll utilize the two-shot to really sell that family ideal. Their dialogue will also serve as great context, which just reminds me... I still have to write the script. Anyways, my favorite of the two shots is the one that I want to capture of the couple dancing in front of the record player. Just to really get that "life in paradise" vibe. Well, before the demons are revealed. 

For a transition shot, I want to use a wide shot of the sun setting. In Florida, it's absolutely beautiful, but it also gets really dark after the colors drain from the sky. I want to use that image of the colors being drained and darkness taking over for, well, you know. That, coupled with an edit to pure black and some chilling music kicking in, would make the tone do a complete 180 degrees and pump in that thriller genre. 

I just worry that the tranquil and picturesque part of the trailer would go on a bit long. I want it to be at most half of the trailer, maybe going to the one minute mark, but I just don't know if that would be dragging on a bit. I could infuse some creepier shots. Maybe hint at the change a little. I'll have to work it out, since this is the roughest draft possible, but I do know that I want to add some more gruesome horror shots. I feel like those work well for the psychological thriller genre. Especially towards the ends of the trailers, just to hook my target audience. It's a trailer convention for the genre, and I have to say that it works well. Maybe have the title pop in after a period of prolonged silence (maybe after a shrill scream or another thriller sting). The credits would appear quickly, and the font could be a pure white, and I want it to remind me of a broken white-picket fence (like for the poster). 

I don't know what's next on the blog posting agenda, but I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll have the script ready for y'all by the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Products (!!!!)

 After all the hard work that I've put in to my project, I'm pleased to present to you the following components: TRAILERS: - Pleasan...