Thursday, February 17, 2022

The Rough (and I Mean Rough) Draft of My Poster

Now I want to talk about my poster in all of its glory. I just want to dedicate a whole post to it, just so I could explain my thoughts and work on this rough rough draft while I'm typing this up. Oh, and I still haven't explained the movie idea.

Alright, so, the plot is focused on this character called Val. Val moves to this seemingly perfect town with her seemingly perfect husband. The two have to adjust to this new life, but find it easy. However, it is too perfect. They quickly notice that there are some things wrong with this town. The people are... off, in a way. They sometimes seem too robotic, following programming and not behaving like humans. Val tries to get to the underbelly of the town by going to the Pleasantville Town Square. There, she notices some strange behavior from some of the residents. They try to hunt her down, and are revealed not to be human, but in fact demons. From there, she goes to the Memory Graveyard on the outskirts of town. Instead of bodies, she finds the belongings of the people who have been hollowed out before her by the demons that run the town. These include photos, cameras, etc. She tries to flee the town, but then notices that her husband has been acting strange as well. Her husband and their neighbor try to prevent her from leaving, but she escapes. But, she is unable to evade the demon that is in charge of this town operation. The demon, known only by the name Sigma, reveals to the audience that Val (who could be referred to as an unreliable narrator) has been lying about being completely innocent this whole time. She has committed some serious crimes in her past, including accidental murder, and now has to pay for it. Sigma also speeds up Val's hollowing out process, and she starts noticing that she is becoming more like a demon after making one last attempt at fleeing. Sigma watches with a sardonic smile as Val fails to get past the borders of the town. She is left to her own misery as she finally completes her transformation and the demon inside of her has been released. The movie ends with another couple moving to the town of perfect houses and white-picket fences, this time with Val to greet them as their friendly next door neighbor, all of her humanity gone.


Now that we have gotten the plot out of the way, let's see that poster again:
-Made using Canva



Again, I'm just really proud of how absolutely creepy this turned out. I hope this bodes well for the final product, because I kind of want to make that even more unsettling. And it is a psychological thriller, so I'd just be doing something that attracts more of my target audience. 

So, to talk about the actual features of the poster, I want to make it clear that I am not going to include the cartoon person in the actual poster. This is simply a placeholder until I get an actress for the role (or maybe even do it myself, who knows?). But for right now, this is it. I also am going to add that demon face to my actual poster, to represent the transformation. Same with the cracks on half of the mirror. I may even have it on the entirety of the mirror, I'm not sure yet. I just want to make sure that I blend it well, so it doesn't become choppy. I also like the little lights that I added. It gives it a little more pop and frames it better. It also reminds of the lighting scheme that I want to have and how lights play a role in my production (the summoners of the demons, or something like that). I also like my black background. The lights and the bright mirror contrast against it well, and creates that symbol of a bright facade covering darkness. Again, referring back to the would-be central theme of the actual film. And I could choose either one of two routes to make it better: either blend it in more, and make it seem like the darkness is trying to swallow the mirror. Or, I could embrace that contrast and make it appear even more separated from the black background. These are things that I have to keep in mind later.

Now, about that format: I don't like the title up at the top. I do think that it works better down at the bottom of the mirror. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I have to explain the format that I want the poster in (what would work best for marketing). I've decided - for now - that I want it in that digital format, since I'll probably distribute it more with digital streaming services and do more social media marketing for it, so having a digital poster would be more convenient and suitable. That means I won't include credits next to the title at the bottom, just the date of release (and maybe in a bold red).

Font:
This is a big one. Fonts are the thing that I'm least comfortable with and often have the most strife with. They just don't like me. I can never find the one, if you know what I'm talking about. And there are always a lot of options, but they're never really great or even a good fit. As is the case with this poster, where I've only found ones that could work if need be. That's why there's two titles, by the way. 






Font: Playfair Display Black

I like this font because it has that tight, important feel to it. It is stressing its seriousness, if that makes sense. I also wanted to have a font that reminded of perfectly straight white-picket fences, and this has that. The points are also sharp enough to signify a sort of danger to it.










Font: Jeepers

This is more of a classic horror font (as you can tell by the name). But I like it because of that, that it signifies the genre almost immediately. It also reminds of that white-picket fence, but this one more rickety and the white is like paint that's peeling. The image of the white-picket fence is important to me for the font, if you couldn't tell. This might be in the lead right now, but I still want to have a font that is more stiff and reminds of my setting.








This is it for now. Next blog post's gonna be a big one: I'm revealing my storyboard for the first trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Products (!!!!)

 After all the hard work that I've put in to my project, I'm pleased to present to you the following components: TRAILERS: - Pleasan...