Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Is It Finally Time to Talk About Filming???

Well... not quite yet. Did I do some filming? Yes, but, unfortunately, you're gonna have to wait a little bit longer for me to talk about my filming experience. That'll be my next blog post, I promise. I'll probably make it a two-parter because there's a lot I want to discuss, so I'll probably just write about my experience filming and some problems that came up while filming in the next post. The one after that, I'll get more into the analysis of my shots, what I managed to get, and showing my corpse. You'll see what I mean by that later.

Now, what is it that I want to talk about today? I just got done with a productive group meeting (just a discussion amongst other media students about our projects), and I want to record this stuff before I forget it. Because I just got some really helpful information, and I know I'll forget it if I don't have it down somewhere. A blog post is as good a place as any.

First, I wanted to figure out where to get more sound effects for my production. Besides lighting, sound is probably the most important element for my trailer. I need to have good stuffs - if I don't, both will come off as cheesy, even if the shots are fine. Bad sound design can ruin trailers, so this was a problem that I really needed to address. Kim came to my rescue, however, and offered up the YouTube Audio Library

Here it is:


This has a bunch of free sound effects and music that I can download (free of any copyright). I'll have to use this for any horror stings that I need, which may be a lot. I have some background noise in a lot of the clips that I took that I want to drown out a little bit. I'll have to figure out which ones to fully mute, so that way the sound design isn't too chaotic, but that's something I'll figure out later. For now, I'll just focus on finding stuff on the YouTube Audio Library that could be good for my trailers. I'll also use Chosic for the background music, but I'm sure the vast majority of the stings that I use will be from the Audio Library. It has a lot of sound effects that are completely free, and there are new ones getting uploaded every day. It's more of a wider-reaching platform, so I'm expecting there to be a lot more to choose from in terms of sound effects and music.

Another thing I wanted to figure out was what type of sound effects I wanted to use. There's the conventional horror sound effects, but I want to use something a little more unique. I have a certain style to my trailers/pretend film, so I want the sound design to have that same feel. It might actually help bring some more attention to my film, along with the conventional horror stings that will draw in my target audience. Sabrina recommended that I use some more sound effects that are pitched up to have that supernatural quality. She recommended the parametric equalizer tool on Adobe Premier Pro in order to do that. That might mean watching a video for ten minutes trying to figure it out, but if it'll make my piece sound good, so be it. There are a lot of other tools on Premier that would help me manipulate sound effects and get them to how I want them, so I'll figure that part out later.

I also wanted to know what to do for the demon noises. Again, I want Sigma and the other demons to have that iconic sound. The aliens from A Quiet Place have a distinct sound effect, it automatically creates suspense and scares the living crap out of people watching, etc. etc. I don't know if I'll ever be as creative as the people who worked at sound design on that movie, but I'll try. I might actually create my own sound effects for the demons, so I'll have to get to work on that. I just wanted to see if I could do some foley sounds, but again, I don't have a taser to use on grapes (hopefully you get the reference). I might destroy some fruits and vegetables during this process, but it might be worth it.

I also was given the advice to layer the sound effects so that they sound more supernatural. And again, I could always use the tools on Premier (if I can figure them out) to manipulate the sound effects. I want to try that with the demon noises. I might just make a high pitched scream and go from there. Who knows? As always, hope you keep reading, and see you next blog post (where I finally talk about filming!).







No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Products (!!!!)

 After all the hard work that I've put in to my project, I'm pleased to present to you the following components: TRAILERS: - Pleasan...