Thursday, March 17, 2022

Delving Deep Into the Footage

 As I promised, I'm going to imbed some of the clips that I took, mostly the ones that I'm really proud of. I could talk about some of the problems in some shots, or I could just praise myself. Yeah... I have OCD, I'm gonna talk about the faults. I'm going to put up my best clips first, though, so don't you worry, I'll get to the good stuff. And I want to reiterate that filming was a good experience. It was a little awkward in the moment, and I was worried that some of my shots would turn out worse than they did, but overall, I was happy with what I was able to come up with. 

So, let's see what I have.

The Best Clips:

Remember the thing I said about my corpse? Yep, this is the clip - 


I'm glad that my fake blood turned out well. I'd say it looks pretty realistic considering I'm a gore makeup novice. I might actually try this for Halloween, this is pretty creepy? Is it weird that I'm enjoying this clip this much? I'll just chalk it up to excitement that the clip turned out as well as it did. I also like the movement in the background with the water splashing and the green leaves moving. Definitely thriller material.

Here's another one of my corpse - 


I'm not really gonna keep the sound for most of these clips, maybe have them on quietly, but it'll mostly be stings, the main music, and for this scene in particular, maybe some Sigma dialogue. It's going to go over one of these two clips, I'll just have to figure it out during post. And again, my corpse looks freaky. I really like how it turned out, I'm thinking this is looking a little too realistic, but I'm sticking with it. What can I say, it's good stuff.


Going away from the corpse shots, this is one that I'm also really proud of - 


This shot was a hard one to film. I think I had six takes before I was satisfied, and even then I worried that it wouldn't turn out as good. I was mostly worried about the lighting, since my subject (Sigma) was too far away for any close-up lighting with a flashlight. I figured the lamp might be good for that, so I made him walk a little more than he wanted (actors, so tough to work with, and they expect monetary compensation, too - chocolate just isn't good enough these days). Still, the lamp had its problems, and the lighting isn't as good as it is with a mid-shot or close-up, but I actually like the effect here. The darker lighting makes him appear more ominous and mysterious. And it was totally accidental, but I really like the effect with the lamp light. As he walks closer, the lamp dims. Again, I was just randomly playing around with the shot and noticed that when he walked closer, the lamp lights got dimmer. Total accident, but it's really cool.

I can't stick with the good stuff forever. Now, I have to move on to more of my problem shots. 


Questionable Footage:

I mentioned in the last post about a problem that I kept running into while filming in the dark. I would like to take the time to discuss it. And I will, because this is my blog. I'm not the most experienced filmmaker, so that means I don't exactly have the top-notch equipment. That includes lighting equipment. So, I try to use as much natural lighting as possible, because while flashlights do work, they're not exactly perfect at illuminating my subject, especially with a wider shot. But, the lampposts here are particularly bad when it comes to glare. I've noticed this problem before, but I've never really realized the extent of this problem. When I was filming at TC, I really began to notice it. Blue dots would appear from the glare and reflecting rays of light, and those would often ruin shots that I would take. I had to take one shot a total of 8 times because of the glare or some other issues with random people walking into frame. 



This is one shot that I had to trim a great deal in order to not see any of the glare and the blue dots following my lead around. This shot actually turned out great, because it is fast-paced now, and haunting when it reaches the end. I like the constant movement of both the subject and the camera. But, the glare means that I can't use the other segments of the clip of her running. The blue dots were too noticeable, it wouldn't have looked good. I guess I'll try to film away from lampposts next time or try to find the best angles to film at. I eventually learned to cope with this while filming, but it still sucked when I framed a shot nicely and the lights ruined it. 


This shot suffers the most from it. I'm planning on keeping it, because it was the best one I could take. I figure I can just do fade-outs to black or some other quick edits to hide it for the most part. That might be the best course of action, but again, I'll have to work something out when I get to post-production. 

As fun as analyzing my shots is, I do want to surprise y'all with a few in the trailer. I took a bunch more, and maybe I'll reveal them in a later post. Maybe. Bye for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Products (!!!!)

 After all the hard work that I've put in to my project, I'm pleased to present to you the following components: TRAILERS: - Pleasan...