Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Filming My Intro Shots (Part 1)

I was able to film this time around and get some pretty got shots. I wasn't able to film my entire opening, as both my partner David and I did not have a lot of time to spare that day. This day was more going to be capturing my introductory shots (most importantly my establishing shot) to really set the happy tone in the beginning and introduce my setting. And I'm pleased to share them here and describe my process:



This shot is most likely going to be my establishing shot. It shows off the setting quite nicely, and gives the happy and tranquil tone right out of the gate. Now, I did already edit this shot (along with the others I took) in post production. I saturated the blue hues to where I originally wanted them (the blues pretty much match those of my mood board, so I'm happy). The over-saturation and warm hues are meant to say that this is where Maya feels most comfortable. 

As I put in the title, this is the part 1 of my sharing of how I filmed the intro shots. I will share my other clips that I filmed for my introduction for my next blog post. This is more meant to be a little teaser for some of my other shots that I have filmed. I will also share more of my feelings and my actual experience and thoughts on filming in the next blog posting that I do sometime later this week. I decided to share the shot above because it is the one that is most likely going to end up as the establishing shot. And quite honestly, it's also the only one with the actual audio. I did not use my mic during the filming of the shots (this was the phone audio, wanted to conserve the mic for when I'm filming the dialogue). So I thought this would be a good opportunity to discuss some of the challenges of the filming process and some things that I will have to consider the next time I film.


Some Challenges:

Let's just pretend I haven't mentioned wind yet. So......definitely wind. But it wasn't terrible when I was filming, the phone audio was actually able to discern many other sounds (wind distorted it a little bit here and there, but that's why I have my microphones). Wind is still very much a factor, but with the right equipment I think I'll be able to get some pretty good audio and not have to add in the character audio in post.

Shadowing and the positioning of the sun (and maybe even the sky) is another big factor. I could retake the shots if there is too much of a discrepancy, but overall this was something that I hadn't thought of before. I also don't want a glare on the shots, so I might have a little shade or covering over the camera and position the characters where there is no glare. 

A little inspirational/educational video that I found:



This video is just something that I came across that really helped and continues to help me during my filming process. This is the same channel that made the video on how to film Westerns (included in one of my earlier blog posts). This video is really educational for me. Just seeing someone else's mistakes 
when filming shows me what not to do and also that mistakes happen and are okay. The main thing that I took away from this video is that mistakes are common and that your ideas can definitely be a little too grand. You can expect too much sometimes, and if something goes wrong or is not how you planned it to be, you have to be ready to improvise. This will be especially important for me to consider as I am filming in an environment that I cannot control, so I will most likely have to change or completely scrap some shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Products (!!!!)

 After all the hard work that I've put in to my project, I'm pleased to present to you the following components: TRAILERS: - Pleasan...