Friday, February 26, 2021

Post-Group Discussion Thoughts and Ideas For the Film Opening

 I just finished my group discussion of our film opening ideas. It was really helpful. I liked hearing some of my group mates' (really) interesting ideas. And I received some very helpful tips for my own project. Before I get into it, I just want to explain that this was originally going to be more of a discussion on my script ideas. I might include it at the bottom, I'll see how I feel at the end of the post. In any case, it will be my script rough draft, so I will definitely be making edits after I've read my script out loud.

Anyways, back to my afterthoughts of the group discussion. My main issue that I wanted to discuss with my group was the dialogue. I want it to be as natural as possible (like an actual human conversation), wry (to add the humorous tone), and showcase the close relationship of my two main characters. So, not much to it, really. The one I really wanted to focus on was how to create realistic dialogue that would go well with the rapport of my two main characters. And for that, my group mates recommended me to record a conversation between myself and my partner David, which I thought was a great idea. Some of our conversations do resemble how I want the characters to sound when they speak to each other. I definitely want to include dry humor. Recording a conversation or at least paying more attention to our conversations is a great way for me to get inspiration. I have to credit my discussion group mates for it, it will really help in the ling run. We also discussed ideal settings, something that I already have but it helped me to reflect on why I had chosen it. 

I also wanted to discuss which sequence I wanted to include in the latter half of the film opening, whether I should choose the extended conversation of the two on the beach or the car window sequence. I will still have to discuss the matter further with my partner, but I'm leaning more against the idea of the car window  sequence after the group discussion. It will be harder to do, especially if I want it to be really smooth. Instead of the whole sequence, I'm thinking of filming some bits of the brother starting the car and some music starting to play (most likely Clash). It will later turn into non diegetic sound as the last shot will be of the floating ball in the water and the music will still play over it. I feel like that is a good way for me to introduce my title card. I also think that there are good ways of fitting in credits during that sequence. Either that or in the beginning, during the background shots. 

I have decided to add a little bit of my script rough draft that I'm working on here, just for a little sneak peak. I'll talk about it more during my next blog post.



Here is a bonus scene that has also served as inspiration for my dialogue. It's from The Edge of Seventeen and showcases the relationship between Nadine and her teacher really well. I just love the dry humor, so I'm putting this here because this is my blog, and I can. Enjoy:




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Products (!!!!)

 After all the hard work that I've put in to my project, I'm pleased to present to you the following components: TRAILERS: - Pleasan...