Monday, February 22, 2021

Planning and Storyboard Rough Draft(ing)

 I'm not done with the researching phase of the project, but I am already starting the official draft of the story and the shots for my film opening. A lot of this is subject to change as I move farther along with the planning and talking through with my partner David, but I do want to share what I have so far. There will be a part two of the blog post to share the difficulties of where I want to shoot and some potential changes that I already want to add. But for right now, I'll talk about what is on my actual rough draft.


                                      


Now, I know I don't have the best drawing skills (I can't even tell what I tried to draw for one box), but it is my general outline for the story. I wanted to start out with some scattered shots of the background. Again, the beach is excellent for shots, the lighting is usually great and the number of moving pieces (birds, waves, etc.) means the shots won't exactly be static. It would still be very engaging. I would have to pick out the shots, shoot more than I have to (there is a lot going on, I would have to pick and choose which shots are the best for the opening). I want to introduce the characters through a close-up of one of their feet splashing through the water and a tilt and pan to get the characters in view. The running scene would not last long. I am planning on a two-shot of them sitting on a sand dune. I would have to come up with some dialogue for them (to establish a more humorous tone and make the characters feel real). I might have a shot of the brother (I named him Dallin) throwing a ball into the water. The story will progress from there, with the final shot of the two of them on the walkway that leads to the parking lot. It will be the final two-shot (for this version of the story).

Yep. You heard me right. I do have another version of the story. It will have the same introductory shots and introduction of the characters, but the ending will be different. 



Here is the other version of the draft. The bottom pictures show the two-shot of the siblings on the dune, with a shortened version of the conversation, and then the shots of them going past the walkway. They would reach the car, and the following shots would be more Lady Bird-like. This means that they will be shot from the car, as the car goes past the buildings close to the beach. I'll show some areas close to it, presenting it as a working class neighborhood (one with charm and some unique buildings). I have some more thoughts written beside the picture. These are mostly reiterating what I have stated, but there is one that says the credits would show as a part of the car sequence, where they wouldn't necessarily stand out, but they would be visible. Plenty of movies have done this before, and I would do this if I were to pick this version.

The part two-ish blog post will detail some of the challenges and some of the reworking I need to do to make the filming process easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Products (!!!!)

 After all the hard work that I've put in to my project, I'm pleased to present to you the following components: TRAILERS: - Pleasan...