Thursday, February 18, 2021

Planning A Setting


 The setting is going to be vital for my film opening (not as vital as my characters and showing their bond, but it is a close second). I want my audience to know some of the intimate details of the background of my characters without having to just say it. Other parts of mise-en-scene such as costume design is also definitely going to play a huge part in showing my two characters to be from more of the working class. However, I want to go just a little beyond that to really get some more dimension from my characters and make them feel more real to the audience. I did some unintended location scouting the past weekend, and went to a spot that could be good to shoot the opening. 



         

I'm not necessarily going to say where it is, but the area around it is perfect for that older town feel, something that is not exactly working class but not necessarily as affluent as some other towns/cities next to the beach. And the beach itself could be a perfect contrast to the town, as it is really nice and (hopefully) will have the hues of blue that I am looking for. It will be a good place for my characters to make their safe place, almost like a hidden paradise. I could add some symbolism aspect, like the horizon being their wide range of possibilities, but I don't think I necessarily have to. It can mean different things to different people and that's what I want. For the characters it can mean possibilities or a great vastness that can later feel like loneliness (again, not filming the entire movie, but I like having somewhat of a plan of where I want it to go).

There will be some difficulties in shooting there for sure. The weather is always going to be a major factor, so I will check weather reports before being set on any date to shoot. I might have to adjust, or I might scrap this setting idea altogether if it is not something that I can do or if I find another ideal setting (not likely, but I have to keep my mind open). Here's two other iconic movie settings that serve as a sort of inspiration (or I just really like them, either way they're gonna be in here):


The beach from Moonlight is very meaningful for the character. It is not only has a great aesthetic, it  reminds the character  of  his good memories and of his "golden" self (his endless possibilities).   



The whole city of Sacramento has a lot of meaning for Lady Bird. It is the town she grew up in, the one she wants to escape, and the one she misses once she has left. It means something to both her and her mother. The iconic shot of the bridge both begins and ends the movie. 

                                                                                     


(I know there's I'm putting a lot of Lady Bird but I honestly do not care. It's a great movie and has a lot of things that I'm looking to do in mine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Products (!!!!)

 After all the hard work that I've put in to my project, I'm pleased to present to you the following components: TRAILERS: - Pleasan...