Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Some More Genre Research and Character Development

 I wanted to find a movie that is.... not similar exactly, but close to what I am going for. Although Fighting With My Family is not a really well-known film (it was released in 2019), it is more of the sports dramedy that I'll examine more. It tells of a working class family (one that runs their own gym) and the family bond is the center of the film. I could also argue that Saraya, the main character, is also one of the drivers of this film. Like Lady Bird, she is very unique and could be considered eccentric. And she also has a very close bond with her brother, and in a lot of ways is the bond that the movie relies on the most. 





This opening scene is a lot more complex (especially the shots of the ring during the wrestling sequences) but it has the more humorous tone that I am looking for. I want to start off with a more humorous tone, and with it still being endearing and emphasizing the relationship between my two characters. This opening also does a good job of highlighting that bond between the family (especially between Saraya and her brother) and just how much she relies on him. The opening also does a great job of establishing the characters. They are introduced as an "atypical" family that is more in the working class. The costume design and their accents help make it evident.

And this is what I want to do with my opening. I need to use the costume design and maybe even the language (not necessarily and accent, but just the way they speak) to make it clear that they are nearer to working class than anything else. I also want to have the sister be more eccentric. Saraya's all-black get-up makes her stand out, and I'm thinking of using the color orange (a color not used too often) to make it clear that my character is more different. And complementing her orange will be the brother's blue. I'm using more basic color theory for this, as orange and blue complement each other because they are on opposite sides of the color wheel. I am not necessarily committed to this, but I am really excited by this idea (pulling it off would be amazing).


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Products (!!!!)

 After all the hard work that I've put in to my project, I'm pleased to present to you the following components: TRAILERS: - Pleasan...