Thursday, February 11, 2021

My Official Starting of the Portfolio Project

 I'm really excited and really nervous to start. I immediately had some ideas on what I want to do for the project (some realistic and some not). But the most important thing I have to figure out is my genre. The shot selection, the tone, the characters, all of it is key in developing a genre (and more difficult by the fact we have a maximum of 2 minutes to do so). I already have two that I am really drawn to, mostly because they are my two favorites (at the moment) and I already have done research on them, so I already know the type of shots that would work well in replicating them and the types of stories that would work well within them. And knowing many movies within the genres is going to help a lot with the brainstorming process. And without further ado, the two genres I am heavily considering are:


          Western                and                                          Dramedy



And yes, I really did need to announce it that spectacularly. But, in all seriousness, they are the two that I already know well and have already watched many movies in both genres. I actually tried a Western-themed music video for the music marketing project and with pretty good results. It served as a great learning tool of how to really replicate a genre. I had good shot selection and now I have a feel for the genre (tone, pacing). This genre will also be great for what I'm planning my film opening to focus on: a mix of main character and background.

Dramedies are also a great genre for an "atypical" main character and one where I the majority of the focus can be on that main character (along with another character the main character has a strong bond with, but I'll go into that idea for my next next blog). My main focus will definitely be the shots (two-shot to stress character bond), but I also want to try to develop the mix of tones, humorous and melancholy (again, I'll go into more detail at another point). This will be difficult to pull off in a span of two minutes, so I'm not resting my hopes on it.

My next blog post will go further into detail on my research on the genres, but the openings of the following films are ones that I will definitely break down:

THE WESTERN:

Image result for django unchained        

THE DRAMEDY:

Image result for the farewell

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Products (!!!!)

 After all the hard work that I've put in to my project, I'm pleased to present to you the following components: TRAILERS: - Pleasan...