Friday, February 12, 2021

Early Genre Research and Some Thoughts Before I Begin My Official Story Brainstorming

 I found this video, courtesy of the New York Times, showing one scene from The Farewell:

https://www.nytimes.com/video/movies/100000006688230/the-farewell-scene.html

It shows how even a somewhat static scene can have be engaging because of the way it is shot (the two-shot shows the clear bond between the two characters). As director Lulu Wang states, little camera movement can show the chemistry between actors. Also, the scene shows the background as well as hinting at some of the themes. Nai Nai's (the grandmother's) clothing colors resemble those of the buildings around her. The mostly matching buildings suggest a theme of community and closeness. I will definitely try to develop the mise-en-scene elements of my opening, and even try some static shots, especially a two-shot. The two-shot, as evidenced by this scene, is great at showing the bond between two characters.

The opening scene for Django Unchained has its own elements I want to try to reciprocate.


The opening text font immediately introduces a certain unique style for the film. It almost imitates those of old Westerns, while still bringing its own unique flavor. Music is another thing I might try for my film opening, it accompanied Django's shots well and introduced the main character to the audience, and making him seem as more of a legend. The shots are also really varied, with some camera movement (such as a tilt) that shows the great expanse of the setting. The quick zoom-out of the camera also adds that certain "old Western" feel, something I might try if I do go with the Western genre.


I still have a lot more thinking to do before I decide between the two genres. The idea that I go with for the story of the film will ultimately be the greatest decision factor. I'm still going heavily for the character-centric opening, and Django Unchained's main character (Django) is great as for how to show my main character's personality through costume design.


Image result for django


The colors are especially important (but the sunglasses add to the effect), as he is showing that he is "atypical" with his purple-is pink jacket, the red signifies his anger, and the gold is his way of flaunting his new status.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Products (!!!!)

 After all the hard work that I've put in to my project, I'm pleased to present to you the following components: TRAILERS: - Pleasan...