Friday, April 1, 2022

Diving Into the Editing Deep End

 I'm pretty much done with the editing of the first trailer, save for a couple of things that I want to adjust. The audio is by far the thing that I wanted to get right. For a lot of psychological thriller trailers, I found that the audio (especially the main song playing and the stings) were important in developing that tone and genre. I still have to fix some of my clips, maybe add in some more effects, so I'll put off my long discussion about audio for now. 

Some of the clips that need to be corrected really aren't bad, it's just that I want there to be more tension within them. I feel like maybe adjusting brightness levels or even adding a little fade or blur could really help. There's one clip in particular that I'm thinking of, and it's the one of Val seeing the first demon appear at TC. I had to adjust the cropping of the shot just a bit as well as the saturation/darkness levels, but I still think that there needs to be something more to really build that tension that's important in that moment, especially because the very next clip is one of the other demon that comes closer. 

I also don't know if the pace of my trailer is really there. I found that a lot of the psychological thriller trailers I watched didn't feel as though they pushed the pace. They more so built tension until it finally reached a breaking point, so that their target audience could get hooked and could really pick up on a few of the themes that the films would present. I don't know if some of my sections are too slow, or if I just stared at my trailer for so long that I'm anticipating every shot and I'm numb to the tension I've created. I told y'all I hate editing, and a part of it is because I pick apart every single little thing to the point where the trailer just feels dull to me sometimes. I might have to take more breaks when editing so I don't just burn myself out and hate the final product that I really liked a couple minutes ago. Maybe I'm just really tired. Either way, I'll probably just down more caffeine before I go to work editing my second trailer. Yeah, you heard me, that's coming out soon. 

Anyways, one of the last things that I want to adjust is the lighting for some of my clips. This might be a bit nit-picky since the lighting actually looks really good for most, I just think that a few could be more accentuated. Maybe get more of a red tint or something else that could make it look really good.

Before I go on to the sound editing, I have one thing to complain about - the font choices available on Adobe Premier. They didn't have the knewave font that I used for the poster title, so I had to choose something similar. But really, they don't have as many options as I wanted them to have. I also am confused about why they include wingdings, as though that's going to be a popular font. I'll see if I can make my title card a little more true to my original poster, and add in some more effects.

Now that I'm done with my little font spiel, time for sound!

I mostly used Chosic to look for good stings, but I also used the YouTube Audio Library, which was helpful as well.  There were some of the choices on Chosic for horror and thriller stings:



I used most of these sound effects in my first trailer. I may have to rely more on the YouTube Sound Library for my second one, just to add in more flavor to the second trailer, especially because it's the one that showcases most of my film's thriller elements. I'm just lucky that a demonic woman scream was one of the stings available. Makes my life just a little easier. 

I just have one problem with the sound editing, and that's choosing the song that's going to play for the tranquil section. I picked out the best one that I found from Chosic, and it's more upbeat and happy right from the get-go. Problem is, my original idea was a song that's more classical rock, happy and energetic but also not completely upbeat. I wanted it just to be a little more tame. I found a song on the YouTube Audio Library that was good for that. Now, I have to decide which would be better, as I've gotten used to the Chosic song in my trailer, but the classical rock song might just add a little more nuance to the beginning half of the trailer. I guess that's what I'll work on now.

My next post will probably be about me starting the editing for the second trailer. I might link the final product of my first trailer as well, I'll just have to decide later. Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Products (!!!!)

 After all the hard work that I've put in to my project, I'm pleased to present to you the following components: TRAILERS: - Pleasan...