Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Social Media Research

Let me take a detour really quickly and make a plan for another component of this project: the social media page. I already have the (rough) rough draft of my movie poster, and I'm just getting ready to film, so this is probably the best time for me to sneak in just a little bit more research while everything else is stalled. I'll get into the actual preparation process in a later post (plus, it's not even that interesting).

So, let's get into this, shall we?

I want to start off by choosing the social media site that would work best for my genre. My target audience for my psychological thriller will tend to go younger. That's typically the demographic that will go out for these kinds of movies, as seen by Jordan Peele's recent releases as well as Last Night in Soho (getting actors and actresses that are more popular with those 18 and older). My general topic will interest the demographic between their 20s and 30s the most, so I'm guessing that's where I'll have to plot my target audience. These social media platforms would work the best for this audience:




With the research I've done, I've found that the most common and most used platforms for the psychological thrillers were Instagram and Twitter. These are also popular among my target audience, so these seem to be the best choices for my film. I'm going to focus more on Instagram, since it seems to be a popular platform for my age group and I'm looking to avoid using Facebook for marketing the film (becoming a less reliable and more controversial platform). 


Here's some statistics, courtesy of all the sites listed on the graphic. And again, Instagram is the second most engaging platform after Facebook. All projections are currently pointing for it to increase in users dramatically, so it would be a great way to market the movie and make sure that it reaches as many people as possible. Also, been thinking that Instagram would be the best platform for sharing behind-the-scenes images and mostly sharing photos (as well as links to other digital tools in the description). This is mostly what I want to do for my film, so I feel like this would be a great match for me and my particular marketing scheme (as many behind-the-scenes and teaser shots as possible). Instagram would also allow me some of the most access to my target audience (besides Facebook), as 37% of U.S. internet users ages 18-29 use Instagram, according to dazeinfo.com. This is higher than the percentage of Twitter users for that age bracket, so Instagram would statistically be a better choice in order for me to reach my target audience.

I've also researched some tips on how psychological tactics for social media marketing. 

Here's the site: https://mavsocial.com/psychological-marketing-tactics-for-social-media/

I just thought this was really interesting, and there's a couple of things I might want to incorporate within my own social media page (which I've decided is going to be on Instagram, for now). Color psychology is the most interesting part for me, and something that I will use. I want to make my first posts seem lighter, and maybe some stills of the seemingly perfect town aesthetic. Then, the next posts could be much darker, and the bits of color are more red or there could be a singular light that is being swallowed by the darkness. Just to get my target audience more interested. Since I don't have a large budget for marketing (a sum total of $0), I have to use as many psychological tactics as I can to capture my TA's attention. I might also use the amplification hypothesis. This is especially true for when I want to make announcement posts and have a kind of countdown for my movie release. I'll use all caps for sure (and maybe a more thriller-esque font, which could really capture my TA's attention - as well as a bold red). I could also use the isolation effect for my posts, especially when I want to highlight either Val or Sigma. I feel like adding the contrast between the two would also be great, without adding any more context to my movie. Maybe even putting a close-up of Val's face for one picture and also adding a close-up of her during her transformation into a demon. Maybe even a close-up of the bloody hands, but brightly lit and isolated by darkness.

I'll get into social media case studies in my next blog post. This one is getting a little too long considering the topic, but this has been really helpful for me. Until next time, slava Ukraina (glory to Ukraine!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Products (!!!!)

 After all the hard work that I've put in to my project, I'm pleased to present to you the following components: TRAILERS: - Pleasan...